Friday, March 7, 2008

Featured Artist for the Week - Steven Gordon


Real Name: Steven E. Gordon


Please tell us a brief info about yourself.
[Steve G] I've been in the animation business for over 30 years starting with Ralph Bakshi on "Lord of the Rings". I've worked as an animator, storyboard artist, development artist, character designer and director on too many films and shows to quickly name.



When did you first decide to become a graphic artist / illustrator?
[Steve G] When I was in High School I had planned to go to art school to become an illustrator and was sidetracked by the animation business before I graduated.


What do you prefer: mouse, tablet, brush or pen and ink? and why?
[Steve G] I work mostly in pencil (HB Staedtler Mars Lumograph) because I'm most comfortable that way, but I do most of my color work in Photoshop with a Wacom pad and stylus. I also use PS to do a lot of drawing cleanup. But I also like to experiment with ink brush now and then. I'm toying with the idea of getting a Cintiq sometime in the future.



Who or what inspires you?
[Steve G] Almost everything and everyone. I especially like some of the great comic artists old and new from Jack Kirby and Gil Kane to Adam Hughes and Stuart Immonen. I also love seeing work by the great illustrators like Frazetta, Bama, Wicks and McGinnis as well as many of the people I've worked with past and present.


Where does your training come from? Self-taught? College/Art School?
[Steve G] Mostly self taught and on the job training. I also learn from copying others...and making it my own.



How do you keep "fresh" within your industry?
[Steve G] I try to stay up on what others are doing and stay open to everything. But unfortunately it doesn't always matter how 'fresh' you think you are it all depends on the perception of others and whether they perceive you as 'fresh'.



What are your current projects?
[Steve G] I just finished storyboarding on Terminator Salvation and I'm co-directing a direct-to-DVD sequel of Happily N' Ever After.


How did you got in the X-men Evolution Series?
[Steve G] Someone I worked with off and on for years, Boyd Kirkland, was brought on as producer and he hired me as a director and eventually I was designated character designer.



Which of your projects are you the most proud of? And why?
[Steve G] I'm very proud of XME, of course, and I'm very proud of most of my directing work. I'm also proud of animation I did for Disney on the Black Cauldron and the Swan Princess. But I'm hoping that my proudest work is still ahead of me.



Are there any areas, techniques, mediums, projects in your field that you have yet to try?
[Steve G] I would love to direct a feature. So far all I've directed have been TV shows and direct-to-DVDs. For awhile I toyed with the idea of learning CG animation, but figured out my time was better spent in story and directing.



What do you do to keep yourself motivated and avoid burn-out?
[Steve G] Seeing bills come in each month is a great motivator. What is important is finding something to enjoy in any job you work on - which is actually easier than you'd imaging, but if you can't then you need to find another job.



Finish this sentence. "If I weren't an artist/illustrator I would have been a...
[Steve G] ...probably a writer of some sort.



and finally, What advices/tips can you give to the novice designer/ illustrator?
[Steve G] Keep drawing/painting or whatever and keep looking at other people's work. If you're trying to find a job consider working for free as an intern if you can't find a paying job. Interns will often learn many aspects of production and eventually move onto a paying position.


(c) Steven E. Gordon - reproduced with permission


For commision works & other information, please contact him at:

website: http://www.stevenegordon.com/ and http://stevenegordon.blogspot.com/


wanna be a featured artist?
email me at: mcedesigns@gmail.com
with the subject: interview request


For more featured artists, click here.