Monday, March 31, 2008

Featured Artist for the Week - Benjamin Friess


Please tell us a brief info about yourself.
My name is Benjamin FRIESS, I am 30 years old, I live in the Ardèche, in the south of France, I have been married for 2 years, I worked as a webmaster in an association that deals with the integration of people with disabilities.



When did you first decide to become a graphic artist / illustrator?
Since he was young I always drew, but it was around the age of 17 that I really started to create my own characters. At 22 I started oil painting, and it was a turning point in my artistic life. 2 years ago I tried digital painting by creating "Emerveillement", is where it all really started.



What do you prefer: mouse, tablet, brush or pen and ink? and why?
I prefer oil painting, it is a pleasure to work on the textures. But the tablet can do a lot more things, and easier.



Who or what inspires you?
I am inspired by fantasy illustrators , as Luis Royo, and also by all other illustrators work can be seen on the internet. It is mainly the field of fantasy and poetry that inspire me.


Where does your training come from? Self-taught? College / Art School?
I am a self-taught, although my apprenticeship in the printing industry has taught me some important bases.

I love your Symbiosis Artwork, How did you came about that particular piece?
I like robots, plants, animals and beautiful faces, I just have to mix it all!



How do you keep "fresh" within your industry?
I am interested in new styles graphics, I always wonder how an artist has succeeded in carrying out his work, and how I could use it in my art.



What are some of your current projects?
At the moment I am doing illustrations for a friend who is going to open a whimsy cofee. They are around illustrations of a fairy, games fairy.


Which of your projects are you the most proud of? And why?
"Emerveillement." This is the work that made me known on the internet, I am proud of the digital version, but also to the oil painting.



Are there any areas, techniques, mediums, projects in your field that you have yet to try?
Let me try them all, but I already have too little time to learn to master those I have practice, so I focus on them.


What do you do to keep yourself motivated and avoid burn-out?
You should know to keep your dreams and your universe secret, to protect yourself from the ugliness of this world.



Finish this sentence. "If I were an artist / illustrator I would have been a. .."
A scientist who protects nature.



And finally, What advices / tips can you give to the novice designers / illustrators out there?
Work, work and work again. Do not be discouraged, even when you are unable to good results. Continue to work and the results will come. Always be open to other methods of work, look at what others are doing, follow your intuition.


c) Benjamin Friess - reproduced with permission

For commission works & other information, please contact him at:

website: http://benf07.free.fr/ and http://benf.deviantart.com/

email: benf07@gmail.com


wanna be a featured artist?
email me at: mcedesigns@gmail.com
with the subject: interview request

For more featured artists, click here.