Monday, March 24, 2008

Featured Artist for the Week - Archan Nair



Please tell us a brief info about yourself.
Hi. My name is Archan Nair, aka archanN as mostly people know me in the digital and virtual web. I’m a 25 year old Artist, Designer and Illustrator based in New Delhi, India.

I’m also the co-founder of a Creative and Design Agency called Cropped Circles. I specialize in Interactive Design, Branding & Identity, Graphic and Photo Illustration, Art Direction, Fine arts and Progressive Solutions.



When did you first decide to become a graphic artist / illustrator?
Well, I come from an
entirely different industry which is Fashion. As a family business I was running an apparel manufacturing and export industry since I was 18 years old. I always had the creative stint in my family since my childhood days, but I guess I never discovered it properly. In February 2006, I joined a very famous design and art community called DeviantART. At that time, I signed up as a member to upload desktop screenshots as I was heavily into windows customization.

Later in a few months, I became friends with a 14 year old windows skinner from the US. In July, 2006, he gave me a wallpaper he had made to play around and remix. I had just very little
knowledge of Photoshop at that time, and I just played around with some layers here and there, and in 5 minutes remixed the wallpaper and uploaded it to DeviantART. I got a great response, with members and people from all around the world appreciating my artwork. I got a real high from that, and that’s how I kicked off into Digital Art and Illustration. There has been no stopping from that day. In fact, Art has now become my life and passion, and I quit my family business for my love of Arts and Design.



What do you prefer: mouse, tablet, brush or pen and ink? and why?
The hardware tools I use for my creations are mouse, and wacom tablet. Wacom came at a later stage when I really tried learning digital painting, but both these are like my hands when I’m creating.


Who or what inspires you?
I’m inspired by my surrounding, when I’m alone on my terrace or dr
iving my car, anything or everything can inspire me.



Is your artistic background self-taught or did you go to college to study?
Well, I never went to any digital design college, school or university. Since I was in the fashion industry, I’m a Fashion Design and Garment Technologist Graduate. But our school always emphasized on extra curricular activities like traditional art and its various forms, which I never took seriously at that time. Later when I started Digital Art and Design, I realized that there was no need for me to do any formal education in this field. I don’t believe in education of design and arts actually ( although I know a lot of people wont agree with me or I might be wrong ). But I personally feel that design or art education restricts a person, or just takes him into a particular fixed direction. I’ve seen a lot of designers or artists, following rules! But I feel, that if a person has the creative talent inside him, he should relax his brains, and let all his thoughts, feelings out on the canvas. Creativity cannot be taught, it can only be discovered, and the process of discovering is just endless. Yes one needs a lot of practice, dedication, passion and love to go the level and step further and every new image makes you better with the composition, colouring, focus and detailing.

So yeah, I’m completely Self Taught!


How do you keep "fresh" within your industry?
I guess, being original first of all, and trying out new ideas, experimenting a lot and all being wild and free definitely helps a lot.


What are your current projects?
At the moment doing a lot of work for Pepsi, 7up, some lifestyle brands and Fashion Designers in India. Also doing a lot of T-shirt print artworks and CD covers for music albums.


I really love your "100 times cooler" artwork, any story behind this particular piece?

Ah, very interesting question, and you caught me here. "100 times cooler" actually evolved with the help of 2 artworks. I was inspired by the calm and peaceful roads of countrysides in Europe , and some adventure which goes on as the source of entertainment. So when I was creating it, I somehow stopped it when it was 80% done. Didn’t feel like going forward. Then I started making a mythological artwork for a brand in India, and one of the artworks ( pitch ) which I loved, was not chosen by them. So I fused it with "100 times cooler" which resulted in giving exactly the feel I wanted to give it, and voila it was done.


Which of your projects are you the most proud of? And why?
That’s a tough one, because all are very close and special to me. But I really love The Joy Ballad, and Do Feelings have taste. Both because they connect to me at a certain stage in my life. I could actually portray my feelings and thoughts very well through both of them.



Are there any areas, techniques, mediums, projects in your field that you have yet to try?
The Art and Design field is never-ending and so vast. I really want to go forward by learning 3D, 100% hardcore digital painting and then using mixed medias and experimenting new concepts.



What do you do to keep yourself motivated and avoid burn-out?
Well If I ever get off , I just chill or relax for a couple of days and come back into form!


When you're not in front of your computer screen, how do you spend most of your free time?

I watch TV, shop, chill out with friends, love to eat! Go out and enjoy! And sleep sometimes ;)


and finally, What advices/tips can you give to the novice designer/ illustrator?

Just that, be original, and have fun! Keep on practicing hard, and make your work with passion!

(c) Archan Nair - reproduced with permission


For commission works & other information, please contact him at:

website: http://badampista.croppedcircles.net and


http://www.croppedcircles.net

email:


wanna be a featured artist?
email me at: mcedesigns@gmail.com
with the subject: interview request

For more featured artists, click here.