Friday, March 14, 2008

Featured Artist for the Week - Courtney Autumn Martin


Courtney Autumn Martin entered the world one fine day in 1984 and she hasn’t left since. From that day on, she has been fascinated by many things including kittens, carnivals, children's books, cumulonimbus cloud formations, old things, and balloons floating off into the sky. Courtney graduated with honors from Rhode Island School of Design in 2006 and has since gone on to pursue her career as a freelance children's illustrator.

Please tell us a brief info about yourself.
I'm twenty-three years old and I have been working as a freelance illustrator and designer for almost two years.



When did you first decide to become a graphic artist / illustrator?
During high school I applied to a few art schools and thought I was interested in pursing graphic design or illustration. I was accepted to RISD (Rhode island School of Design) in 2002 and decided to go into illustration after my freshman year there. I'd always wanted to someday illustrate children's books.



What do you prefer: mouse, tablet, brush or pen and ink? and why?
I prefer a combination of digital and traditional media. Lately, I've started with pencil drawings (and acrylic paintings) and then I scan, color, paint, or adjust them in Photoshop. I work with a 6 x8 inch Wacom tablet. I prefer working this way because I am a better drawer than painter (my hand isn't very steady) and painting detail traditionally is difficult. I like being able to zoom into a piece and finely paint details. But I don't really like the way completely digital pieces often look (blurry and overly smooth.) So combining my drawing and painting skills with the computer is a good technique for me.



Who or what inspires you?

I love being inspired by other illustrators-- especially in the way they stylize their world and the colors they choose to use. One of my favorite illustrators is a woman named Linda Wingerter. Her paintings are beautiful and they make me very happy. Overall I am inspired by interesting people, animals, and nature, and I try to incorporate those into my work. I am also a huge collector of children's picture books, and definitely draw from the books that I love when I work.



Where does your training come from? Self-taught? College/Art School?
I was essentially self-taught up until college. My older sister dabbled in drawing and painting and I was initially inspired by her. I took art classes in high school but was a pretty independent learner. It wasn't until college that I really began to get a thorough art education in drawing and painting.




How do you keep "fresh" within your industry?
I don't know if I am "fresh", but I don't worry about that. I just study the work of illustrators that I admire, and attempt to emulate the aspects of their work that I like. I'm just now beginning to let my work be whatever it's going to be without worrying if it's got a unique enough style.




What are your current projects?
I just finished illustrating a children's picture book called "Ballots For Belva". It will be published and in stores in September. In the spring I'm also going to be painting a few murals of caribou and polar bears for an arctic exhibit at an aquarium.



About the self-study and skyscape (my favorite), What's the story behind those pieces?
Skyscape and the other similar "doodle" paintings are all actually completely unplanned and spontaneous. When given a blank piece of paper I just naturally start to doodle circles of different shapes and sizes, so I decided to see what happens when I try to make a painting out of my doodling. To do this, I just let the doodles flow without thinking ahead. The paintings sort of evolve as I go. In Skyscape, I began by painting a random background with watercolors, and that began to evoke a landscape. I then tried to create an environment out of my circular shapes and the final product is basically just a culmination of free flowing drawing and painting from start to finish.



In Self-Study, my goal was to create a self-portrait using doodle shapes. I was inspired a bit by the work of Chuck Close, and the way that he uses abstract shapes and colors that come together to form faces when seen at a distance. I did do a bit of planning for this piece, as I wanted to actually get it to look like me. I began by mapping out my features, breaking them up into doodle shapes that I felt represented me accurately. Symbolically, this piece represents all the random bits and pieces of by subconscious that combine to form my identity.




Which of your projects are you the most proud of? And why?
One of the things I enjoy most is my artist book called Cultures, because it was a lot of conception and construction, but also a lot of fun to create. I like opening it up and diving into the little three dimensional worlds. I also like sharing it with other people. It definitely gets a reaction when they hold it in their hands and really examine it close-up.



Are there any areas, techniques, mediums, projects in your field that you have yet to try?
There are many things I haven't really explored as much as I'd like to. I'm eager to try water soluble oil paints because I love the look and feel of oil paint but I actually have a bad reaction to it-- they make my throat swell like I have a cold. So I'd like to try less harmful oil paint on different surfaces, like wood and gessoed canvas.



What do you do to keep yourself motivated and avoid burn-out?
My biggest motivation for me is that when I don't create for long periods of time, I get very unhappy and I feel guilty for not being productive. So to stay happy I have to do something creative-- be it a doodle painting or making a logo for fun in Photoshop. I want to get better at everything I do, and I know I won't if I don't keep up with it all.


Finish this sentence. "If I weren't an artist/illustrator I would have been a...
[an] unhappy person! But seriously, I would probably have turned to writing...something else creative... maybe children's books.



and finally, What advices/tips can you give to the novice designer/ illustrator?
You have to do what you love, and love what you do. There are many other artists in the world, and it can be discouraging to compare yourself to anyone else. The best thing you can do is to make art that you care about. If you put time, thought, and love into what you create, it will be fulfilling to you as well as others who experience it.

(c) Courtney Autumn Martin - reproduced with permission

Courtney is always looking for new freelance illustration and design opportunities. She also welcomes commissions for animal and pet portrait paintings.

website: C-A-Martin.com and Slumberland By Day
email: camartin@c-a-martin.com

wanna be a featured artist?
email me at: mcedesigns@gmail.com
with the subject: interview request


For more featured artists, click here.