Thursday, February 14, 2008

Featured Artist for the Week - elsevilla


Real Name: hEcToR SeViLlA lUjAn

Please tell us a brief info about yourself.
I'm a graphic designer from Mexico, Chihuahua(not the dog, like 4 hours down from El Paso Texas). 29 years old, scorpion, I like wine. Done work for Konami with Lunar Knights(really lucky), creator of Lullaby, penciler for Leviticus Cross(upcoming project), and many more stuff.
When did you first decide to become a graphic artist / illustrator?
I've always liked to draw, even more than design.

What do you prefer: mouse, tablet, brush or pen and ink? and why?
I like pencils, but lately I like more the use of a tablet, its easier to do somethings.

Who or what inspires you?
Cool movies, anime and videogames like the rest of the guys.

Where does your training come from? Self-taught? College/Art School?
I think its from the books I had read and tutorials, we dont have teachers that teach this where from I live.

How do you keep "fresh" within your industry?
That's tough, I think I'm getting older, but love to see new anime and stuffs, and I always leave the door open for new styles, thats why I changed to digital.

What are your current projects?
Right now I'm on Drawskill, It's a project I've always wanted to make since a couple of years, Besides Lullaby, about a group of artists kids, that shares sames doubt or fears, about the ego on artists, yeah sometimes I've been caught on that too, It's like an express road that most artists takes and a lot of experience I had picked over the years, but I think the main objective is to push people to follow their dreams. This comic will also have tips that characters will use on their skills, but its going to be a real hard project, I hope people on Tokyo Pop approve it and people online will support it so it can work on a printed form, but I've always wanted to try a manga version of storytelling, more cinematic than the american way, because of the less space for paneling.

Which of your projects are you the most proud of? And why?
I think it's Drawskill, even if it's not printed yet, I have it all in my mind now, but it's because it's the first project, I will put into it a lot of things that happended to me, you know, like adding small details and make it more spicy, not like Lullaby that was based on fantasy and I can't relate too. I'm kind of nervous with this project, but I have faith that it will be okay.
Are there any areas, techniques, mediums, projects in your field that you have yet to try?
Like I mentioned earlier, I really like to try the manga format. And to do a cool urban city, I've always done fantasy, so it will be quite interesting if I can mimic that, and not to make it so bad. Maybe some day I would like to do also an illustration book, but I need to have more skills, or maybe in the future I could become a teacher so I can share my skills. But I have never been good at teaching, not yet.

What do you do to keep yourself motivated and avoid burn-out?
To try new things, I started to get burned out of just using pencils, I always wanted to learn color and volume, or even use photos with textures, so right now I'm having more fun. A lot of people leave me behind because I left pencils, and thats cool, I was almost on a 90% of skill on pencils, and a 5% on digital, but slowly I've been raising my level again, and new people started to come and enjoy what I'm doing, and other people they even sticked with me through this changes in my style, for that I'm really proud of them, that they supported me. A cool tip is to always try to do something that makes you smile or happy. It doesn't matter if fans hate it, never be a slave of the fans, or you will start hating what you do.

Finish this sentence. "If I weren't an artist/illustrator I would have been a...
Popular person, it means a lot of sacrifice to be on this, to spend hours sittingon a chair, some people can't handle it and get bored easily, so you need a lot of dedication, and sometimes to turn party invitations down. And that's quite hard, specially when there are some cool looking girls. :)


and finally, What advices/tips can you give to the novice designer/ illustrator?
I wont tell empty advices, like follow your dreams and stuffs. I will just say this to you like the kind of practical dude that I am, protect your eyes, find the proper light for your room, search for ergonomic tips, dont spend to much time on a pc, have little breaks, and if I had followed that I wont be having trouble with my eyes. Don't be affected by people who are flamers online, each day there are more and more people doing this, you don't need people saying you are becoming better if you have a feeling that you have made something good, I've seen a lot of people leaving their dream because of flamers. Be patient, with time you will become better. Instead of asking other people for tools or brushes on digital, search for your own ones and the time you will use for asking use it to practice. The most important one is always to read art sources, practice isn't enough you also need to understand basic concepts before practicing. Always carry a sketchbook and do small thumbnails, you will raise faster that way. And when people tell you that you are drunk, believe them, don't try to waste time and saliva to convince them that you not. hahahahahaha.



For commision works & other information, please contact him at:

website: http://elsevilla.deviantart.com/
email: eelsevilla@aim.com

wanna be a featured artist?
email me at: mcedesigns@gmail.com
with the subject: interview request


For more featured artists, click here.