Thursday, January 24, 2008

Featured Artist for the Week - Kris Cahill

Name: Kris Cahill

Please tell us a brief info about yourself.
I am a working artist and psychic, living in Los Angeles. I am
originally from Chicago, and moved here 15 months ago. I paint in
reverse on clear vinyl with acrylic paint. This is a technique I
discovered and have developed over the past 25 years. Originally I
used it to create accessories and wearable art. It became actual
paintings in 1990. Since then I have made over 800 paintings using
this technique. As a psychic, I give clairvoyant readings to my
clients both here in LA and across the country by phone. Being both
an artist and a psychic go hand in hand for me. I identify myself as
'Artist & Clairvoyant'; my blog is called 'Art & Clairvoyance'."Sunny Day" 2006 32"x30"

When did you first decide to become a graphic artist / illustrator?
I was always creative, even as a small child. Originally I wanted
to be a fashion designer, and eventually did become one. But along
the way of doing that, I realized I wanted to make paintings. I guess
I really saw being an artist as an option while I was in art school.

What do you prefer: mouse, tablet, brush or pen and ink? and why?
I prefer acrylic paint and brushes. I love paint, the very substance
of it is healing just to play with. And, I don't use just
regular brushes;
I also use newspaper, plastic forks, those plastic
fake credit
cards that come in the mail, rags, toothbrushes, sticks,
fingers."You're Green Baby, Oh So Green..." 2006 32"x30"

Who or what inspires you?
Who: Abstract expressionists, too many to just name a few. Artists
who paint with feeling, color, emotion, without being manipulative of
the viewer. Great writers. What: Color!, music, life itself, growth,

flowers, incredible nature, beauty, light, darkness, courage, spirit,
love, truth.

Where does your training come from? Self-taught? Co
llege/Art School?
I went to the School of the Art Institute of Chicago, graduating with
a BFA in 1982. A lot of my discovery has been while teaching

myself. I trained as a clairvoyant at InVision, a psychic school in

Chicago, taught full time there for 6 years, while also painting and
giving readings.
"Twilight" 2007 14"x14"

How do you keep "fresh" within your industry?
When I feel myself getting stale and bored with my work, I have to
back off and do something else. Some things I do: read, organize
myself, give more readings, hike, sew new clothes, see fun movies,
go
to museums, get out of my tiny little world for a while. Find
something new to dream.

What are your current projects?
Increasing my online presence is my big project right now. To that
end, I am looking to begin a second blog with an interesting slant.
Can't say more about that now, it would give it away. I am also about
to begin working with a woman from San Diego who is creating a video
channel featuring artists. I am her first artist to be featured and
we
begin in February. I am about to start a new series of paintings,
actually two new series: one of them the wild colorful abstracts that

I love to paint so much. I am also beginning to get more attention
for my psychic readings, and to that end I want to create a brand
new
website, like NOW."Red Blooms of spring" 2007 14x14

Which of your projects are you the most proud of? And why?
I am very proud of my abstract paintings. I love them and learn so
much from doing them. They are true to me and unique. I am also
proud of myself for having the nerve to finally become an abstract
artist
after fighting with myself over it for so long. It takes me a lot
of self care and introspection to allow myself to create these

paintings. I want to be fully present and aware while doing so.

Are there any areas, techniques, mediums, projects in your field that you have yet to try?
I would like to paint on board. It just appeals to me. When I
finally paint forwards, in the normal way again, I think it'll be on
a hard flat surface. I would also like to try encaustic. And I love
mixed media."The Man Abstract" 2006 32"x32"

What do you do to keep yourself motivated and avoid burn-out?
Take good care of myself. I meditate daily, think positively, work on
being honest and truthful, exercise, hang out with good people.
Remember that if you are always hanging out with negative energy it
will rub off on you and get in your way. I just don't have time for that,
I'm too busy! I am also trying to remember the whole "being patient"
thing, which I'm not too good at.

Finish this sentence. "If I weren't an artist/illustrator I would have been a...
writer or musician.

and finally, What advices/tips can you give to the novice designer/ illustrator?
First of all, don't believe anyone who tells you what is possible or
not. If you love something and have a true passion for it, go for it,
even if it doesn't seem practical, or everyone else is doing it
already. Secondly, be very honest with yourself about where your
work
is coming from. It must come from you to be yours. I have
seen enough people who didn't follow their dream. The dream
never goes away, and will only make you sadder if you don't
follow it. So you might as well start now!


What else would I like to add? That being creative is healing for
you, and when you are happy, you become a healing to be
around. Others will be inspired by you. Your physical health will
benefit too. This is your life; live it for you, not for everyone else.

Actually, they will benefit greatly if you are being true to you!
"Beautiful Storm" 2007 26"x20"

For commision works & other information, please contact her at:

website: www.kriscahill.com
blog: http://kriscahill.wordpress.com/

email: kriscahill1@mac.com

wanna be a featured artist?
email me at: mcedesigns@gmail.com
with the subject: interview request


For more featured artists, click here.