Monday, January 7, 2008

Featured Artist for the Week - Wesley Eggebrecht

Real Name: Wesley Eggebrecht

Please tell us a brief info about yourself.

I am and Illustration student currently located at the College for Creative Studies in Detroit.
When did you first decide to become a graphic artist / illustrator?
I first decided I wanted to become and artist when I was a senior in high school. I took loads of art classes throughout school but it wasn't till my senior year when I heard about concept art art started thing of art as a career path. For some reason up till then it didn't register that you could just draw for a living.What do you prefer: mouse, tablet, brush or pen and ink? and why?
My favorite weapons are my pencil and my tablet. I am a huge fan of the good old pencil I really love to draw loose and with a pencil I am able to start out with light construction lines then still am able to create good line quality. With a tablet you can create the same feeling but I am just now working on that. I am having a hard time being as loose as I am with a pencil as with a tablet.Who or what inspires you?
I am inspired by just about everything.Where does your training come from? Self-taught? College/Art School?
Most of my training comes from Art School. The main reason for that is but because being in that environment where all the people you know and hangout with love to draw and all there is to do is draw you are basically forced to draw. I draw ALOT.How do you keep "fresh" within your industry?
I keep fresh and it check with the industry with the internet. I am always surfing looking up artist, new software, anything that has to do with creating art. Some of the may sites I check are CGSociety.org and Conceptart.org.What are your current projects?
Currently I have been working on a couple t-shirt designs with my brother. We trying to start up a summer t-shirt line and have been having a blast with it. Which of your projects are you the most proud of? And why?
Right now I am most proud of my Happy Land piece. I spent probably the most time on that assignment than any other assignment.Are there any areas, techniques, mediums, projects in your field that you have yet to try?
I really want to get into the 3d area. I am fascinated by what they can do and how real it looks theses days. I just got Zbrush a month ago but haven't had time to really mess around and am looking forward to that.What do you do to keep yourself motivated and avoid burn-out?
Drawing in my sketchbook helps me to know burn-out and stay motivated because I don't really focus I just start drawing, I never know what I am drawing when I start so it is fun. Then from there I create things.

Finish this sentence. "If I weren't an artist/illustrator I would have been a...
Computer Programmer. I am really into programming. In high school I took a Turbo Pascal class where we programmed things in DOS and it was a blast. I all would program games on my TI-83 Plus in math all the time. I am just now trying to learn a little bit of Java.and finally, What advices/tips can you give to the novice designer/ illustrator?
Never stop drawing, draw all the time, from life and from your head. Keep sketchbooks. I have sketchbooks from years ago and pull them out for inspiration and ideas. Everyone can draw it is just whether or not you are passionate about it.



For commision works & other information, please contact him at:
email: wesleye17@gmail.com
website: www.artbywesley.com

wanna be a featured artist?
email me at: mcedesigns@gmail.com
with the subject: interview request


for more featured artists, click here.